Every human feels, is sensitive and has empathic abilities. Being sensitive makes it possible to feel another's pain. This is NOT sympathy where you feel FOR another; this is empathy where you feel what they feel...as in feelings that are not your own. This is a strength, not a weakness.
There are some of us who are what is called "ultra-sensitive empaths" who experience feelings on an even deeper level than most other humans. This power becomes a weakness if we allow it to overwhelm and disempower us. It is to them, mostly, that I share this information, although, anyone can benefit from this no matter how sensitive you are.
This is from an article by Lynn Zambrano from bodymindsoulspirit.com, entitled, "15 Tips for Empaths and Highly Sensitive People:"
This is how to assuage picking up the negative vibrations from your environment including people. I like this because it's a fairly comprehensive list:
1. Remember to schedule time with YOU!
2. Use positive affirmations.
3. Learn how to do shielding.
4. Practice chakra cleansing and balancing.
5. Center yourself by aligning with Spirit and parenting your ego.
6. Work with stones and crystals.
7. Do aromatherapy.
8. Forgive yourself and others.
9. Do grounding exercises.
11. Listen to soothing music.
12. Commune with animals and find a way to be in nature.
13. Do smudging with sage and/or light incense.
14. Do yoga and do meditation walks.
15. Start a gratitude and intentional journal and write everything you are grateful for every night and set your intentions every morning.
These work. Try them on for size if you don't already do some combination of these. These techniques and tools are designed to alleviate the stress that ultra-sensitivity can bring times.
I find it to be a great practice. I hope you do too.